Monday, April 9, 2007

142 Years Of Despair

O I'm a good old rebel, now that's just what I am.
For this Yankee nation, I do not give a damn.
I'm glad I fought against her, I only wish we'd won.
I don't ask any pardon for anything I've done...
I hate this Yankee nation, and everything they do.
I hate the Declaration of Independence, too.
I hate the glorious Union, 'tis dripping with our blood,
I hate the striped banner, And fit it all I could...

I rode with Robert E. Lee for four years, near about.
Got wounded in four places, and starved at Point Lookout.
I cought the rheumatism, a'campin' in the snow,
But I killed my share of Yankees, and I wish we killed some more...
Three hundred thousand Yankees lie stiff in Southern dust!
We got three hundred thousand before they conquered us!
They died of Southern fever, of Southern steel and shot,
I wish it were three million, Instead of what we got...

I can't take up my musket and fight 'em now no more,
But I ain't gonna love 'em, now that is certain sure!
And I don't want no pardon for what I was and am,
And I won't be reconstructed, And I do not give a damn...
O I'm a good old rebel, now that's just what I am.
For this Yankee nation, I do not give a damn.
I'm glad I fought against her, I only wish we'd won.
I don't ask any pardon for anything I've done...

1 comment:

Laurel Loflund said...

The day will come when that banner will be unfurled once more!

God bless,
Laurel

A REPLY TO THE CONQUERED BANNER
by Sir Henry Houghton, Bart. (1809-1885)

Gallant nation, foiled by numbers!
Say not that your hopes are fled;
Keep that glorious flag which slumbers,
One day to avenge your dead.
Keep it, widowed, sonless mothers!
Keep it, sisters, mourning brothers!
Furl it now, but keep it still--
Think not that its work is done.
Keep it till your children take it,
Once again to hall and make it,
All their sires have bled and fought for;
All their noble hearts have sought for--
Bled and fought for all alone!
All alone! ay, shame the story!
Millions here deplore the stain;
Shame, alas! for England's glory,
Freedom called, and called in vain!
Furl that banner, sadly, slowly,
Treat it gently, for 'tis holy;
Till that day--yes, furl it sadly;
Then once more unfurl it gladly--
Conquered banner! keep it still!